Sunday, November 29, 2009

Man - on feeling like a grownup

I might be a multiple personality (just kidding mom). On one hand, I feel powerful and the master of my domain but sometimes, usually when other people are involved, I feel like a kid in a room full of grownups.

We have a close friend of the family that I really look up to who seems to have it all together. His family is a “sink” as my other friend says --- single income numerous kids :-). He has a wonderful house, job and is very much like I am in personality. I had my mind blown completely when I found out that out of the 4 of us, in the 2 couples, I am the oldest. Honestly even still, I feel like I am a goofy kid and he is a really cool adult.

I don’t know why my self image is so skewed but I am beginning to wonder if it is because at the age of 19, I began working alongside 50 year olds as my peers. I am used to being the ‘crazy kid’ in the bunch. If I am wrong and all it takes is a catastrophic event I would think that my medical stuff would qualify so I don’t know when that feeling would be kicking in.

Speaking of being hired into my career at that age – I have always joked that my life is on the accelerated plan. Perhaps this is my early mid-life crisis.

I wish I could ask the people I know when they began to feel like a grown up. Was it an epiphany or just something you realized one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You can use some HTML tags including link tags.